After a grueling election cycle, many of us woke up the day after the election with a knot in the pit of our stomachs. Are you kidding me? This didn’t just happen? Please tell me I’m dreaming?
These were the comments I heard and read. It took me a moment to re-center myself but after that moment, I knew everything was going to be okay. You see, a little self-reflection revealed that I was afraid. Afraid for myself, my family and our country. Afraid that Donald Trump would somehow ruin everything.
American’s typically refuse to live in fear. We are bold, outspoken and frankly stubborn if not a bit egotistical. So now that we have a result that many of us don’t support, many of us have a fear that is nearly paralyzing? This state of being is contrary and does not embody what it means to be an American.
So, let me share why Donald Trump being president is a good thing:
- A Powerful Illustration: If this victory does not illustrate why every single American should vote, nothing ever will. Elections have consequences.
- An Exercise in Reframing: This victory will cause each of us to reframe our thinking. We may not like Donald Trump but I hope each of us is hoping his presidency is a successful one for the sake of our country.
- Shifting our Locus of Control: If we are going to emotionally be “okay”, it is important to consider that we are the creators of our own destiny. Regardless of who is president your life is the result of a series of actions, reactions, and decisions taken not by the President but by you. It is your life, own it!
- Motivation Unleashed: Donald Trump’s victory has inspired me to push myself to new levels. I refuse to be dependent on the government to lead a healthy and successful life. I will create my world within this United States of America.
- The Power of Choice: Guess what the election did not take away from us. The ability to make the choices that will continue to shape our lives. Like the all important choice not to shy away from this challenge but to confront it. And the ability to choose happiness and a positive state of mind in the face of what is sure to be a challenging 4 years.
Clearly I was and am not a Donald Trump supporter. I can imagine many of you might be thinking that I am overlooking the fact that the President has the power along with Congress to enact policies that affect all of us. Absolutely true! Obamacare was important to me. Being a self-employed entrepreneur, prior to Obamacare, it was difficult to get health insurance because I have a pre-existing condition. So, believe me. I get it.
I have simply decided I will always be inspired and empowered to continuing making the world a better place for me, my family and my country in my own way. And to continue helping others in my Dream Life Coaching practice do the same. Regardless of who the president is.
Donald Trump’s election has reminded me of the importance having clear priorities, focus and maintaining ownership of my life. It has reminded me to take ownership of the things within my control. It has reminded me that sitting on the sidelines is never a good thing. It has helped me to better understand and have faith in our democracy. It has helped me see that the world did not end when Donald Trump became the President. And, it has helped to remind me that as long as we have another day and the sun continues to rise, we will have the opportunity to be active, vocal and make a contribution to tomorrow.
From that perspective, Donald Trump being the President is a good thing.
Rhonda Y. Williams, The Dream Life Coach
Originally posted on Quora