What is Motivation?
In general, motivation is the desire or willingness of a person to do something. It is a psychological state wherein you are goal-oriented, have self-fulfillment, and have the desire to improve the quality of your life. Motivation is the result of your eagerness to achieve something. Are you aiming for success? Are you motivated? Continue reading for a Dream Life Journey on Motivation.
Sources of Motivation
What drives you? This question is short and simple. For someone who has a family, maybe his/her motivation is parents, siblings, kids or spouse. For someone who is studying, maybe high grades is the driving force. A working person’s inspiration can be pay incentives. Motivation, drive, inspiration, incentive…it may come in many different terms but these words describe motivation that revolves around two things – NEEDS and WANTS.
There are different types of needs. According to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, there are five:
1) Physiological Needs, or the needs of the body: food, water, breathing, clothing, shelter, and sex. These are the things we humans cannot live without.
2) Safety Needs, which include personal security, financial security, and health. After achieving physiological needs, we need to satisfy our own securities.
3) Love and Belonging Needs. This type of need is so important because as the quote says “No man is an island.” We feel the need to belong, to love and to be loved. We have the urge to feel that we are part of a whole.
4) Esteem Needs, which include self-esteem and self-respect. This type explains why it is normal for us to desire attention, fame, status, recognition, independence, strength, and of course, respect, both from others and ourselves.
5) Self-Actualization. This need is realizing a person’s full potential. This may not mean spiritually reaching the peak of your potential. Although for some, it may. Each one of us has different purpose, so this type of need has different meanings for people.
These needs are what keep us moving. We are humans. We are not constant and at different times we may need different things. When we are still babies, all we need is food, love, and care from our parents. As we grow older, we thirst for joy, knowledge, attention, and more. Our needs change and we cannot alter that; for change is inevitable. But, it is this need that can be a driving motivation for us.
Another thing that keeps people motivated is our wants. This differs to our needs as wants are the things we just desire to have but do not necessarily need. We need food but we want the latest smartphone model. See the difference? This concept is easy to understand because we face this everyday in real life. Also, remember that the needs of others can be wants to some and the wants of others can be needs to some. Wants keep us motivated because as people, it is human nature for us to do everything we can to achieve those things we deeply desire.
Motivation as a Key to Success
Daniel Goleman, the American psychologist who developed the concept of Emotional Intelligence in the 90s, pinpointed the 4 elements that make up motivation. These are:
- Our personal drive to improve and achieve. To be called motivated, we have to have the mindset of achieving something and improving ourselves. It is the first step of success- proper mindset. Without this thinking, we cannot be successful in life.
- Commitment to our goals. One answer to the question “How to be successful?” is that you must be committed to your goals. By developing a fierce dedication, you let nobody stop you from achieving these goals. Shift by thinking of each hindrance as a challenge, and not a factor for you to stop reaching moving forward. When you honestly consider yourself as someone committed to his/her goals, then you are truly motivated.
- Initiative, or readiness to act on opportunities, as well as optimism. No matter how big or small the opportunity is, grab it. Small opportunities might be your stepping stone to success. Big opportunities, needless to say, are a huge boost to your life in general. Moreover, positivity is also a secret to success and motivation. Surely, you are going to encounter a lot of problems, issues, and troubles along the way. Face each of them with a big smile on your face and say, “Challenge me.” You will find yourself motivated to continue merrily on your way.
- Resilience. As mentioned previously, you are going to face a lot of challenges while aiming for success. If you failed on the first try, do not be afraid to start again. Recover from any damage and rebuild yourself. Fall once, stand up twice. Motivated people have that as their motto. Make it as yours, too.
From all the elements mentioned above, would you consider yourself a motivated person? Do you agree that Motivation is a Key to Success?
Why is it important to be motivated?
You will notice that some people are highly motivated while others lack enthusiasm. Which one are you? If you are the type of person who does things eagerly, then you are a highly-motivated individual and you should continue on this path. However, if you are the type of person who has no enthusiasm and finds yourself avoiding key tasks, then you may lack motivation.
Have you noticed that many people seem so half-hearted when they are working, studying or just performing routine activities. It may mean two things – they are not happy with what they are doing, or they are not motivated. For many, the issue may be their lack of motivation. In the workplace, decreased productivity is also a sign that motivation is missing. But why does it matter? So, why is it important to be motivated?
Motivation is a building block of Emotional Intelligence, or a high Emotional Quotient (EQ). Emotional Intelligence is the extent to which we are self-aware, can self-manage, can motivate ourselves, can express empathy, and possess social skills. Take note of the phrase, “can motivate ourselves.” Can you? At times, we look outside ourselves for motivation when true motivation comes from within.
Research indicates EQ can predict the success of a person more consistently than IQ can. In other words, your success is so much more than knowledge. Knowledge is a plus but your emotional skills can lead you to success and make the difference in your life. Just like the quote says, “IQ can get you a job, but EQ can give you a promotion.”
Motivation is important in identifying your goals. Goals are the result of a desire for change. Creating goals requires motivation. Motivation is what sparks your interest. It opens up your mind to change. It is the fuel source that powers your desire to achieve your goals.
Without motivation, positive change does not happen. You can’t make a great things happen in your life by approaching things half-heartedly. The only way to create something big, to build something brilliant, to construct something unforgettable, is to do it with enthusiasm. Reflect on your life. I would imagine the best things that have occurred are those where you were overflowing with motivation!
Motivation sets apart a goal and an action. Let’s say, you already have goals. So what? A goal cannot be completed without actually fulfilling it. Let motivation kick in and start bringing that goal to life! Success can never be achieved by just dreaming. You have to work at it with motivation and commitment.
Need to break through hindrances? Turn up your motivation to make progress. Motivation does not just help in creating the plan and taking action, but also in fighting through those barriers that are sure to surface. Every success journey is fraught with difficulties. Having motivation will help you overcome these difficulties.
Consistency is the key. If you want to create sustained success, be consistent. If you have already reached a high-level of success, how sure are you that you will remain there? Motivation is a key source of the consistency needed to have long-term success.
If your desire is to create sustainable success, reflect on your level of motivation. It could be the missing key to your success.
Let’s end with this quote from Zig Ziglar…
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing- that’s why we recommend it daily.”
I hope I have shared enough for you to work on being motivated! Stay tuned for our next blog on “Ways to Get Motivated.”
Share your questions, opinions, suggestions, and insights below. I would love to read and respond.